Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Speak for the Trees


On New Year’s Eve – December 31, 2008 – I went for my usual walk around campus which passes two different types of mango trees, one by the dorms and one by the IDE building. I was horrified to see that the mango by the dorms had been decimated – nearly cut down. Two out of three trunks on this tree had been cut down. At least a hundred green mangos lay strewn over the ground and there was a big pile of branches that were also covered with leaves, mangos and a few birds’ nests. A couple of campus guards came along, and the female guard, especially, seemed as shocked and disappointed as I was. She was looking forward to picking ripe mangos from this tree and was disgusted that it had been chopped down before the fruit could be picked and used. I don’t know why the administration here has been ordering so many trees destroyed. Since I came here, I’ve seen at least five big trees chopped into bits and carted away – first a big shade tree near the admin building, then a giant palm tree in my neighbor’s yard, then another shade tree near the dorms, a gum tree by the chapel (photo attached), and now this mango. I think two trees may have been chopped down today, as some of the fruit on the ground looked like avocados. There may be another stump under the pile of branches. I apologized to the tree and carried away a few green mangos to try to ripen at home. It was a sad end to the year.

P.S. As I'm posting this entry so late (thanks to Internet problems & laziness), I can, unfortunately, report another needless tree elimination. This one was a lovely frangipani tree at the end of my street which had been flowering for months. I would always pick up a few blossoms on my way by, so I could enjoy the fragrance as I walked. In this case, apparently, the inhabitants of that house were afraid their small children would climb the tree and fall out of it. Good grief! How about just watching your kids...?

No comments: