Saturday, February 7, 2009

Christmas, chapter 6

On Friday, the day after Christmas, we mainly relaxed. The kids had a great time playing (so many other kids!), while the adults hung out and visited. In the afternoon, I headed out for a photography-oriented walk, thinking I'd wander about in solitude. But no – I was soon set upon and accompanied by a pack of girls, which was actually a good thing. I spend more than enough time alone as it is, and I got some fun photos of silly girls. One photo shows them gathered around the grave of a young horse, as one girl (either Sharon's Shemine or Zanela's older daughter Flossie, as both are pretty dramatic) had claimed she saw the grave "breathing." Scary stuff…

On Saturday, the Pearl and May's groups had to leave, so Sharon and I dragged our girls away from this children's Eden and headed back to Manzini. I'd had enough of the peace and quiet and of the much cooler temperatures we'd found in the mountains. I was glad, though, that I'd seen Bulembu and met the children and Sharon's family (part of them). It was a nice break from my apartment in Kwaluseni and the stifling heat of the Manzini area.

No comments: