Saturday, February 7, 2009

Christmas, chapter 5

Before lunch on Christmas day, I accompanied Sharon to another children's home run by two Anglican nuns from the UK. We got to sing one Christmas carol (an unfamiliar version of "The Holly and the Ivy") and watched the children open their stockings and gift bags. This place must have many church and corporate sponsors, as it had loads of gifts to distribute. For some reason, I found the atmosphere homier here, or at least more to my liking. I'm certainly more compatible with British folk than with South Africans, whom I find a bit pushy. Also, the Anglican approach to life and religion felt more comfortable than the proselytizing testimonials I encountered at ABC ministries. Certainly all the people running the homes seemed dedicated, but the missionary zeal grew a bit wearing.

One photo here is a distant shot of the Anglican girls' home while the other is of the girls receiving and opening their many gifts.

No comments: