Friday, February 13, 2009

Another toyi-toyi, another campus closure



My students are protesting yet again. This time, it’s only the students whom I teach – Humanities Faculty and Journalism students – although I refuse to take any blame in the matter.

The initial conflict started last week with general student demands for an increase in their food allowance, which apparently has not changed in years and years. That was somehow dealt with, although I don’t know what transpired. Then, the Humanities Faculty students petitioned the administration to gain easier access to earning a teaching certificate. Apparently, teaching is about the only option available to Humanities graduates, but they must spend an extra year earning the teaching certificate and admission to the certificate program is limited. Thus many graduates either can’t get a job or end up teaching at lower pay without the officially required certification. Next, the JMC students joined with the Humanities students with their own degree-related complaint. JMC students are protesting the administration’s delay in implementing the promised change from a 3-year diploma program to a 4-year degree program. The department has long been finished with curriculum and course planning for this change, and two stakeholder meetings were held for input from local employers. But the administration and university senate keep dragging their feet, calling for yet another stakeholder meeting (followed by that, they’ll no doubt demand a shrubbery – if you don’t get that reference, watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail, it’ll do you good).

So, I’ve had no classes this week; however, as classes have not been officially cancelled, I’ve had to show up every day and wander hopefully to my designated classroom in case students should show up. Unfortunately, one room in which I was to hold four class meetings ended up being the space where the Humanities students met to discuss their plans. So that room was unavailable, and the students I was supposed to be teaching were meeting in it. My JMC students showed up for one out of the three hours we’re scheduled to meet. Most of the time, they’ve been parading around campus, singing protest songs and brandishing bamboo branches (they sing quite well—in fact I will try to posting a sound file or two). Unfortunately, on Thursday morning (just before I came to my office – good timing!) some of the toyi-toyi-ing students acted out at the administration offices. They broke a couple windows, scattered papers and mail on the ground, and threw around potted plants (I’ve attached a photo of the debris, which no one seemed in a hurry to clean up).

11:30 a.m. – I just learned from my department head (Dr. Uyo) that the senate has met and decided to close the university. That means all students – even those from other faculties who have continued attending classes – must leave campus. Many students live on campus, too, so they’ll have to travel to their homesteads. Supposedly, the senate will meet on Tuesday to discuss re-opening options, but as the short break officially begins next Friday, it’s unlikely that campus will reopen for just a few days and then close again. Even if it does reopen, say on Wednesday, those students who have travelled a long ways away won’t want to come back for just a couple days of classes. So it looks like I have a two-week break coming up. I may die of boredom.

11:45 – I’ve just been told that the closure announcement is imminent and that there are quite a few students and police amassed near the admin building. I’ve been listening to the students chanting and singing, so I know they are feeling emotional. I’ve been advised to go home rather than risk getting stuck in my office if any rioting should occur. So, I’m heading home. I’ll try to post this later. (The last pic I’m attaching to this is a flyer from the student association urging all students on campus to support their colleagues in JMC and Humanities. Viva Humanities! -- has a nice ring to it…)

1 comment:

swazi solidarity said...

Yes CL, you may die of boredom since you look at SD so superficially. We who know SD may bore of your postings as well. You write "The initial conflict started last week with general student demands for an increase in their food allowance, which apparently has not changed in years and years. That was somehow dealt with, although I don’t know what transpired." Somehow dealt with? Why don't you know what transpired? Why don't you take the time to find out these things instead of writing about it in this frivolous manner. Is this blog to boost your CV or are you a human who sees the hell that the Swazi government creates? Give us a little depth - talk to your students or are you too much a "lecturer" to do that?