Monday, April 13, 2009

Cairo, chapter 4 - The Khan El Khalili bazaar





Part 3:

For the most part, Jesus and I were able to take photos without offending anyone or being forced to buy anything. Once we found the spice market, especially, there were countless colourful photo opportunities, and no one seemed to mind our lingering over the bags of spices. Despite the photogenicity (new word) of the spice market, I think I prefer taking surreptitious snapshots of people shopping for household items. I saw such contrast between the array of negligees and slinky, sparkling dresses on display and the black-robe-encased women who were seemingly meant to buy them. Made me wonder what those women are all wearing under their shapeless, head-to-toe coverings.

By the time we’d finished wandering through the market and rested with a cup of exorbitantly priced tea (about $3 per cup), the hour was well past 2 pm. Although we were near the conference location, I had to go back to the hotel to change clothes and grab my stuff. By now, unfortunately, traffic was busy and s l o w. It took about 20 minutes just to go the first few blocks, and I began to despair of getting to Zamalek and back in less than two hours. But, the worst traffic jam was just near the market, and we managed to get back within a half hour or so. After a desperately quick change, I jumped in yet another cab and sped back toward the city center. I made it to the conference site about an hour before my presentation and used the time to find my room, set up and review my notes. Time well spent.

My workshop/presentation went all right, although attendees kept coming and going throughout (arriving late, leaving early). Finally, another ELF who was attending planted herself outside the door and refused any further admittances or departures. I guess such behaviour is not considered rude in Egypt; I certainly found it disruptive.

No comments: