Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cairo Trip, chapter 3: Walking with Jesus





No, I didn’t find my savior; I found my friend Jesus Villegas, a fellow ELF who is based in Tunisia and who is an avid and gifted photographer. Once we met up at the ELF meeting on Sunday, we hung out, taking several photographic excursions over the next few days.

On our first outing after meetings ended around 4 pm, we took a cab to the area near the museum, then wandered along the river and back. Just getting across the street to the river promenade area was a challenge. I was amazed to see horses pulling carriages in the midst of all that traffic. For one thing, the setting seemed unsuitable for something as romantic and fanciful as a horse-and-buggy ride. And those horses (not to mention the drivers) must have nerves of steel, or perhaps no nerves at all anymore.

The river walk was populated mostly by young lovers and tourists. Vendors were set up here and there selling shockingly bright-colored beverages and snacks such as chickpeas boiled in a round metal pot. We tried some chickpeas, once we got the price down from the 20 pounds originally quoted (nearly $4) to 5 pounds for two cups full. They were served in a salty, tasty broth, in tall plastic glasses. Quite filling. The vendor didn’t appreciate my taking a photo of his stand, but I did anyway. After all, I’d been a customer.

No comments: