Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mozambique - part 2

On Saturday, we tried to go to the geology museum, which for some reason wasn't open – we were told this was because the day before was payday. So we went back to see the rest of the Natural History Museum, then went to a local craft market before lunch. I found the craft market expensive and the vendors extremely aggressive, but I did manage to buy a couple things before we were told it was time to move on. Unfortunately, that was my only real chance to shop. I wished at the end of the trip that I'd stopped at some of the stands we passed.

As I packed to leave on Sunday morning, I was told that someone had tried to steal one of the side indicator lamps off the boombox as it was parked outside our hostel. Fortunately, he was frightened away and left the lamp on the ground – either that, or the guard who had claimed to stop the thief had done the deed himself in order to claim a reward. No matter – I gave the guy 100 metacali (about $5) and stuck the lamp in the trunk. (On Monday, I talked the cable guys into reattaching it for me; sometimes it's good to play the helpless female…).

Our first stop on Sunday morning was to take in a walk along the beach, which is only a few minutes drive from the busy city center. Unfortunately there was no surf to play in, but I enjoyed walking in the sand and watching women gather shellfish.

Attached are photos showing several beach views, some women gathering shellfish and a pair of fruit carts on the street near the geology museum.

No comments: